Sunday, May 12

William turns 11

I'm the mama to an 11-year-old... a boy going into middle school grades.
He sure has grown... I've grown.  What a tender, special place this boy has in my life; it is with him that I get to experience what it is like to have an 11-year-old for the first time.
 William is genuine.  His smile and friendliness are magnetic.  
William loves laughing with his siblings.  He is gentle and silly with his baby brother and patient with all the noise and chaos that comes from having four younger siblings.
 Brothers.
 School at home has been a joy; I am thankful for how William has grown in confidence and knowledge over the years.  I am grateful for his self-discipline to get his work done.  I spent roughly 4 months this year visiting and observing every school option for William for 6th-grade (public, private, co-op, hybrid).  For next year, we are excited to continue homeschooling with a hybrid 1-day-a-week farm school and additional once-a-week debate/computer class to enrich and broaden his experience.  I do not take for granted these precious days I have, guiding my children through their education and watching them enjoy their childhood.  Their laughter is uplifting music... the bickering interjected is a bit more like scrapping metal ;), but the laughter, it wins out.
 William has been working hard to earn his black belt in karate, and he has enjoyed playing soccer this past year.  In his spare time, he is usually found reading a book, playing imaginative games with his siblings, or working on their tree-fort.  He has a bit of a side-job taking care of neighbor's dogs, but he sold his portion of the chicken business (caring for the chickens and selling their eggs) to Vera and Silas.  When it is screen time, he is usually playing Minecraft - constructing fortresses and castles.  He isn't one to want to do extra work or chores, but when I ask him for help, he is happy to give it.  
(All my little ones huddled together to relish William's birthday presents they gave him.)
William invited friends from his early childhood, his pre-school, his first years of elementary school, his homeschool groups, karate, and church to come to celebrate his birthday with him.  The point I'm making here is that he loves his buddies from every part of life.  They played capture the flag and nerf gun battles with breaks for watermelon, rootbeer floats, and brownies.  One buddy even brought a purple smoke bomb.  They were a sweaty, adventurous bunch.
William's 11-year-old interview:
What do you want to do when you grow up?
Be an author.
What's your favorite color?
turquoise
What do you like to do?
Soccer, karate, minecraft, read, and work on our treehouse.
What do you like to eat?
Chocolate rum cake, brownies, apple pie, pumpkin pie.
Who is your favorite character/role-model?
My best role model is God.
What's your favorite song?
My playlist of William's Christian Rock
What's your favorite book?
Wings of Fire - The Brightest Night (narrowed down by asking which was his favorite read recently... he is always reading)
What's your favorite tv show? 
Can I say my favorite video game?  Minecraft.
What do you like most about school?
Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment