Wednesday, September 26

Silas turns 6!

Silas will be turning 6 on the 29th!  We will be on a road trip adventure on his birthday, so we celebrated before we set off.
Silas is full of life and spunk!  This boy is loud.  Silas is creative and quirky.  He is often asking me to take pictures of his creations and ridiculous poses... like a boa tied around his waist :).
Silas moves almost constantly, and his motions demand his entire body.  I'll often look out the window and see him playing in the yard within an imaginary world; his arms stretch to the sky and he shakes his fists, he leaps and spins to look behind him, crouches down, lifts an imaginary boulder with shaking arms, then arches his back as if electricity is flowing through his arms... I laugh and smile as I watch him.
I am teaching Silas at home for kindergarten.  He is not a fan of assignments - even when I've asked him to write his words with sticks on the ground by a creek!  I think he'd like 100% free time every day, and if I could just teach him not to complain before each and every task by the end of the year, I think we'll really be getting somewhere.  
This little adventurer got into a kayak the other day and was a natural.  I was stunned.  We'll have to try to get him into one again soon.  If he sets his mind to something, he is going to do it.
Silas makes us laugh.  His gusto is magnetic.  He gives sweet hugs and would sit in my lap all the time if there weren't little brothers claiming it.  He runs with the big kids.
Despite his dislike of assigned work, he developed a love of rocks and minerals as we studied them the past few months.  He loves smashing rocks in our driveway to see what sorts of layers and sparkles he can find.  For his 6-year-old birthday party, he wanted a rock and mineral party.
I gladly accepted the task of making him a geode cake.  I appreciated help from a youtube video to get me started and was quite pleased with the result. 
A few close friends and family enjoyed breaking geodes with Silas.  Then we played hide and go seek for some crown jewels to decorate a crown for the birthday boy.

 We were thankful to have both Justin's and my mom celebrate with us.



Here is Silas's 6-year-old interview:
What do you want to be when you grow up?
Someone that lives in a forest
What's your favorite color?
Light Blue
What do you like to do?
I like to watch shows, crack open rocks, play with my LEGOs, and play with my Thunder Tumbler.
What do you like to eat?
I like to eat meats.
Who is your favorite character?
Luke Skywalker
What's your favorite song?
"Beloved, Let us Love One Another", and "I am a C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N"
What is your favorite tv show?
Ninjago
What's your favorite book?
Rock and Minerals books and Star Wars Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment