Tuesday, March 17

Introducing our new home, Winter Woods

   I dug my roots down so deeply into the soil of Winter Farm that I never thought I'd leave... except part of me felt like it would become necessary so I wasn't marrying my soul to a place on this earth.  Justin and I moved into our house in Tyrone just 2 months after our wedding and spent 14 happy, growing years there.
  Unexpectedly, not even on my radar, Justin sent me a link to a house for sale in Peachtree City, where I grew up, and just 3 miles down the road from our farmhouse.  It had a big stone fireplace and 2 acres of woods.  It felt like us, so I wanted to yell at him, "Why in the world did you send me that house!?  Why are you confusing my mind when I'm connected so deeply to where I am, and we aren't looking to move!?"  Thus began our discussion about further education for our children... I have been homeschooling, but not intending on continuing through high school and some of middle school; yet we didn't feel peace about the options where we were.  Peachtree City has the caliber schools we were hoping for without the private school prices and thus (insert many conversations, tears, soul searching, guilt, agony, excitement...)... on December 7th, we packed up and moved into Winter Woods.
After we moved in, I had the pleasure of babysitting my nieces and nephew for two weeks; and then... the sickness.  We spent all winter being sick.  I'm not exaggerating.  With 5 kids, one sickness can take two weeks easily to pick its way through our bodies.  We thoroughly enjoyed the 4 days here or the 3 days there when we were healthy, but after strep would finish tearing through our throats, flu would have its turn with us before the stomach virus got its way.  I was ready for Spring to come and bring good health.  Instead, a health crisis is overtaking the world... and since some of our kids are coughing and have low fevers (seriously... we still haven't exited the winter sickness), we are on day 6 of staying deep in the heart of Winter Woods, trying to aid in slowing COVID-19.  So, while this is an introduction to our new home, it is unavoidably wrapped up in my thoughts as we experience this pandemic.
(Winter Woods March 2020)
What a plethora of emotions has bombarded all of us.  What a sense of chaos and confusion our society is experiencing.  And yet there is a dichotomy, a stillness.  Our schedule is free of sports and library visits, and with nowhere to be, I have the opportunity to embrace this moment of slowing down.  My heart ached when I saw our church was holding service without parishioners, and it grieved when my favorite library renewed my books "until further notice."  I am filled with compassion for the thousands who will lose jobs through this crisis.  I feel for the parents who have been thrust into homeschooling, when I spent months making such a decision.
(Winter Woods September 2019)
I hope we will all find peace in the storm.  These woods may be fairly new to us, but do you know what?  They feel like home; they are peaceful.  How is it that I can love another place?  I walk down the path we made and look at the beetles scurrying under the fallen leaves; they make me smile.  I see the dogwood bracts opening and turning more white each day, and I am filled with hope.  Spring gives such a gift of renewal, so I'm letting it speak to me.  
Children laugh and play whether the world is in shadows of fear or rays of joy.  The kids remind me to be present in this moment, right now.  I love seeing them splash in the waterfall that came with Winter Woods.  
The woods are shady and moss is abundant.  It is inviting, soft, comforting, soothing.  I am giving thanks for the little world that exists within this picture.
While we miss our open fields, we are enjoying exploring our woods, especially this past week as the kids trade soccer practice for riding bikes in the driveway.  The kids are thankful for a little extra space in the house as they are getting bigger.  I am thankful for a bit of space too...
I'm sitting at that desk on the left now as I type.  At the farmhouse, I had to do my watercolor and card making on the dining room table, so I am humbly grateful for this new space where I can draw, paint, store work, and print cards.  I hope once our family can be healthy, once the world can mingle safely, our friends can come spend time with us here.  For now, I have so much to be grateful for.




4 comments:

  1. Beautiful home and beautiful thoughts! And happy birthday too, or as happy as it can be in this strange time. We're holding up alright, but it has been a very stressful week. We're lucky to continue to be able to work from home, but that means we're expected to do 40+ hours each as usual while also "homeschooling" the kids. I put that in quotes because we are obviously not able to give them the level of attention that doing a decent homeschooling job would require. I've cut my hours for next week so that I can attend to that task. But I fear this will go on for some time. It's really the craziest thing. I've gone on a few walks in my neighborhood, and the contrast between the trees blooming and the birds chirping on the one hand, and the known fact that there's a pandemic happening on the other, is just blowing my mind. Anyway, once we all make it through this madness, I sure hope to come visit your new house, it looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a strange contrast indeed! Thank you for sharing some of what this week has been like.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful descriptions of Winter Woods. Yes, I definitely hope to visit sometime when all this pandemic is a memory...maybe by the time we turn 40. In the meantime, I’m so glad that y’all have such an amazing new home and land to explore and enjoy during this time of being hunkered down. Much Love to you, Anna!

    ReplyDelete